Thursday, January 14, 2010

Newbie Musings

I'm a relative newbie, both to blogging and to genealogy. I thought it would be interesting to share my research so far with others, as well as my experiences as a genealogy student. I am studying at the National Institute for Genealogical Studies, towards both a general certificate and a certificate in German Records. Most of my ancestors came to the United States from Germany, some from Italy, and many from various other parts of Europe.

I plan on trying to post about twice per week - one post about my own research progress, and one on a topic helpful to genealogy students - classes to take, websites to use, etc.

Hopefully, this will generate some discussion among my fellow students. It's difficult to underestimate the value of having other students around to support you, and this is sometimes difficult to find in an online class (although NIGS is very collaborative in many ways).

So, any other students out there, from NIGS or otherwise?

4 comments:

  1. Welcome Sarah, we look forward to seeing you around here. My ancestors are German and I was born in Germany. I am very interested in your future posts about Germany and many other subjects.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah - learning to do genealogical research properly from the beginning is very wise of you.

    I started my family history research in 2005 by enrolling and graduating from the University of Washington Certificate Program in Genealogy and Family History.

    Smartest thing I have done for myself.

    Oh, and don't forget to source you material correctly from day one. Saves you so much pain later on.

    -fM

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to the genealogy blogosphere, Sarah. I am an alumna of the NIGS program, with a certificate in American Records. I will be interested in seeing how you like the program and how you progress in it, especially the German research, as our son-in-law is of German descent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you everyone, for being so welcoming :)

    Does anyone know how to make the main part of the blog page wider? I feel like the text is squeezed into the middle.

    ReplyDelete